The Board recognizes that the first-hand learning experiences provided by field trips are most effective and a worthwhile means of learning. It is the desire of the Board to encourage field trips as an integral part of the program of the schools.
The following guidelines are set to implement the planning of field trips as part of, and directly related to, classroom learning activities.
1. All trips and the arrangements therefore, must have the approval of the school principal prior to the field trip being taken.
2. All trips must be within budgetary allotments for such purpose and be approved by the superintendent or designee; decisions may be appealed to the Board. Any trips for which there is no budget allotment and all extended (overnight) trips and excursions, must have advance approval of the Board.
3. Pupils or sponsoring agency may be asked to pay all or part of the expenses of field trips provided arrangements can be made for the payment of trip expenses for pupils unable to do so.
4. Private transportation provided by teachers or parents will be allowed, only in accordance with Policy EEAE. School bus transportation may be used when arrangements can be made to do so without disruption regular school bus schedules.
5. Each child who goes on a field trip must have written parental permission.
6. Appropriate supervision must be provided so that discipline on the trip is effective and student safety is insured.
7. All trips must be well planned, properly timed and related to regular instructional activities. Specific learning objectives and stated desired outcomes must be developed and measured in relation to all field trips.
8. Field trips that require greater time to travel to and from the activity than is spent at the activity shall not be scheduled.
9. Each field trip should be evaluated by students, teachers and the administration.
Current practice codified 1978