IIAA TEXTBOOK SELECTON AND ADOPTION
I - INSTRUCTIONAL PROGRAM
The Board shall officially adopt textbooks and textbook programs for use in the district schools upon recommendation of the superintendent.
Responsibility for the review and selection of textbooks to be recommended shall rest with textbook and/or curriculum committees as appointed by the superintendent or his designee. Membership on such committees shall include representation for teachers who will use the texts, administrators and other staff members as found desirable. Students and parents may be asked to serve.
Principles that apply generally to the selection of instructional materials and library materials shall apply to textbooks. Additionally, basic textbooks and textbook programs shall be chosen:
- To advance the educational objectives of the school system and particular objectives of the course or program
- To contribute toward continuity, integration and articulation of the curriculum
- To establish a general framework for the particular course or program.
Because the instructional purposes of textbooks, as stated above, are of such importance, particular care shall be taken in their selection as to content.
Although many points must be examined, the Board directs the staff to be particularly mindful of the following considerations:
- The needs of all learners, including slow learners and the exceptionally able, must be provided for.
- Insofar as possible, multi-ethnic materials which depict a pluralistic society should be selected.
- Attention should be given sex roles depicted in the materials.
- The textbook, or textbook program, should lead the student and teacher beyond the textbook into a wide variety of other materials and educational experiences. (Is there indication that the program seeks to confine instructional materials to those of the particular publisher?)
- If the textbook deals with problems and issues of our times, it should present and encourage examination of all points of view.
Because textbooks are selected for several years’ use, special attention shall also be given their physical characteristics, durability, format and price.
Current practice codified 1978
Policy Cross References:
» IIA - INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
» KLB - PUBLIC COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CURRICULUM OR INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS