JFCI STUDENT DRUG ABUSE
J - STUDENTS
The Board of Trustees of Uinta County School District Number One realizes that it is the responsibility of the public schools to help safeguard the health, character, citizenship and personality development of the students in its schools. The Board recognizes that the illegal and/or inappropriate use of drugs or any controlled substance constitutes a hazard to the positive development of students. Therefore, the possession, use, being under the influence, or transfer of any form of drugs, behavior altering or controlled substance or paraphernalia without a medical prescription on school properties or at school sponsored events by any student shall be cause for suspension and/or expulsion.
Further, the District’s policy on drugs requires:
1. The systematic implementation and maintenance of a K-12 District approved drug/alcohol education and awareness curriculum in all schools of the District.
2. The provision in each school of counseling service that will make it possible for drug-troubled students to seek and get counseling any time without fear of reprisal and with assurance of the confidentiality of the counseling.
3. That students under the active influence of drugs or any illegal substance at school or in connection with any school activity receive appropriate emergency health and/or safety care.
4. Close cooperation by school officials with parents or guardians of students seriously suspected or reliably reported to be illegally involved with controlled drugs or other illegal substance. This requires that parents be notified and conferences with them arranged when suspicion of drug abuse in any form (use, possession or distribution) is sufficiently founded.
5. The prohibition of the use, possession, or distribution of drugs, any controlled substance or paraphernalia on school property or in connection with any school activity. Violation of this provision must be reported to the proper law enforcement agency.
Policy Cross References:
» JFC - STUDENT CONDUCT
» JFCG - SMOKING BY STUDENT
» JGD/JGE - STUDENT SUSPENSION/EXPULSION
» KGB - PUBLIC CONDUCT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY