JEA COMPULSORY ATTENDANCE AGES
Adoption Date: 1/1/1978, Revised: 8/12/2014
J - STUDENTS
Ages for attendance in Wyoming are set by the laws of the state, viz:
Every child attaining the age of seven (7) years on or before September 15, and under the age of sixteen (16) years who has not completed the tenth (10) grade, shall be required to attend a public or a private school each year during the entire time that the public school shall be in session in the district in which the child resides, unless excluded by provisions of law which are:
- Compulsory attendance in school, in the judgment of the Board of Trustees, would be detrimental to the mental or physical health of such child, or of other children in the school.
- Compulsory attendance in school, in the judgment of the Board of Trustees, might work undue hardship on the child. The Board may, at its option, conduct a hearing on this issue.
- The child has been legally excluded from regular school.
- The child has completed the twelfth (12th) grade.
- The child has such a mental or physical disability that, based upon a physician's certificate, the Board believes such child could not reasonably benefit from programs available.
- The attendance of the child would be inimical to the health, safety or welfare of other pupils; provided that the Board shall make the best provisions possible for the suitable and adequate education for the child in accordance with the laws of the state.
The parent, guardian or other person having control or charge of any child under the age of eighteen (18), who has not otherwise notified the District of enrolling that child in a different school district or in a private school or home-based educational program, shall be required to meet in person with a School District counselor or administrator to provide the School District with written consent to the withdrawal of that child from school attendance. The written consent to withdrawal shall include a separate provision authorizing the release of the student’s identity and address to the Wyoming National Guard Youth Challenge Program as established by W.S. 19-9-701 or as may be amended, for the sole purpose of recruitment into the Wyoming National Guard Youth Challenge Program.
Established by statute
W.S. 21-4-102(a) and 21-4-301, 302; JEDPolicy Cross References:
» JED - STUDENT ABSENCES AND EXCUSES