JFCH ALCOHOL USE BY STUDENTS
J - STUDENTS
The Board of Trustees of Uinta County School District Number One realizes that it is the responsibility of the public schools to help safeguard the health, character, citizenship and personality development of the students in its schools. The board recognizes that the illegal and/or inappropriate use of alcohol or any alcoholic beverage constitutes a hazard to the positive development of students. Therefore, the possession, use, or transfer of any form of alcohol or alcoholic beverage on school properties or at school sponsored events by any student shall be cause for suspension and/or expulsion.
Further, the District’s policy on alcohol and alcoholic beverage requires:
1. The systematic implementation and maintenance of a K-12 District approved alcohol/drug education and awareness curriculum in all schools of the District.
2. The provision in each school of counseling service that will make it possible for alcohol-troubled students to seek and get counseling any time without fear of reprisal and with assurance of the confidentiality of the counseling.
3. That students under the active influence of alcohol at school or in connection with any school activity receive appropriate emergency health and/or safety care.
4. Close cooperation by school officials with parents or guardians of students seriously suspected or reliably reported to be illegally involved with alcohol or any alcoholic beverage. This requires that parents be notified and conferences with them arranged when suspicion of alcohol abuse in any form (use, possession or distribution) is sufficiently founded.
5. The prohibition of the use, possession, or distribution of alcohol or any alcoholic beverage on school property or in connection with any school activity. Violation of this provision must be reported to the proper law enforcement agency and is cause for suspension from school.
Student Organizations and Activities
Any student of Uinta County School District Number One who shall be found guilty of being under the influence, or having possession of alcohol or any alcoholic beverage, or who in other ways brings unduly unfavorable publicity to his/her school or the District by any voluntary act while he/she is a member of a school organization, or at any school event in or out of town, as a participant or as a spectator, shall immediately be suspended from any office or position of honor which he/she may hold, and be denied the privilege of further representing his/her school in any organized school activity. The student shall also be required to appear, with his parents, before the Board of Trustees to show cause as to why the suspension should not be permanent. This policy shall be in effect at all times while the student is a member of the student body.
Open Container Ordinance
Uinta County School District Number One hereby does endorse the Open Container Ordinance of the City of Evanston, Wyoming.
Further, no liquor of any kind shall be brought onto any school district property at any time.
Policy Cross References:
» JFC - STUDENT CONDUCT
» JFCG - SMOKING BY STUDENT
» JGD/JGE - STUDENT SUSPENSION/EXPULSION
» KGB - PUBLIC CONDUCT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY