The district's purchasing program shall serve the interests of the district and the betterment of its educational program by providing the necessary supplies, equipment, and services as efficiently and economically as possible.
The Board declares its intention to purchase competitively without prejudice and to seek maximum educational value for every dollar expended.
The Board has designated the business manager to assume the responsibility of purchasing agent for the school district. He shall be responsible for developing and administering the purchasing procedures for the district. Such procedures shall comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the state, as well as with the following Board policies:
- The district's annual operating budget, which the Board sees as the district's controlled spending plan, shall direct all purchases.
- The purchasing agent is authorized to issue purchase orders without prior approval of the Board when formal bidding procedures are not required by law and when budget appropriations are adequate to cover the obligations.
- The purchasing agent shall always secure approval of the Board of Trustees for major purchases of equipment, which will amount to a considerable expenditure by the district.
- Competitive bids or quotations shall be solicited in connection with all purchasing whenever feasible. Contracts shall be awarded to the lowest responsible bidder complying with specifications and with other stipulated bidding conditions.
- Residence or place of business of suppliers shall be a consideration in cases where identical or very close bids have been submitted.
- The quantity of items purchased shall depend on the necessity of the items, storage space, availability and economy of volume purchased.
- The purchasing agent shall make every effort to receive full value for the dollar spent. The purchasing function shall be to buy the required products, which during the product's period of usefulness will be the most efficient and economical.
All contracts which require public advertising and competitive bidding shall be awarded by the Board. Recommendations for the award of these contracts shall be submitted to the Board by the Superintendent.
DJ, DJA, DJC, DJD, DJG, Wyoming School Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting Manual