The Uniform Municipal Fiscal Procedures Act (Wyoming Statute) requires the preparation of an annual budget for each school district. The annual budget provides documentation that all sources and uses of local district resources were properly planned, budgeted and approved. The budget, upon adoption, is the legal document, which places restrictions and limitations on the purposes and amounts for which district monies may be expended.
A budgetary calendar follows:
- May 1, all departments are required to have their individual budget requests submitted to the school district budget officer.
- On or before May 15, the budget officer must prepare a tentative budget for each fund and file the budget with the Board. Such budget must be accompanied by the budget message in explanation of the budget.
- At least one week before the hearing date (which is no later than the third Wednesday in July), a summary of the proposed a budget must be entered into the minutes and the local Board must publish such summary ion a newspaper having general circulation in the area in which the district is located.
- On or before the second Wednesday in July, the Board of Trustees will review the proposed budget.
- The public hearing must be held on or before the third Wednesday in July. The Board of Trustees must arrange for and provide accommodations for interested persons. Copies of publications of hearings (complete with budget summaries) must be furnished to the State Examiner and the State Department of Education no later than July 30.
- On or the day following the public hearing, the Board must make the necessary appropriations and adopt the budget which, subject to future amendments, shall be in effect for the next fiscal year ended June 30. A certified copy of the adopted budget shall be furnished to the County Commissioners and certified copies shall also be kept on file in the district office.