Determining School Needs
The Board of Trustees shall require a careful and continuous review of building needs of the entire school district. Needs shall be determined primarily upon the following criteria:
1. facilities already available and the extent of their use
2. number, type and residence of the students to be accommodated;
3. educational goals and the resulting curriculum, extracurricular activities, auxiliary services and administrative services required;
4. non-school use of school facilities;
5. Enrollment projections shall be the joint responsibility of the superintendent and each building principal by compiling the data necessary to project enrollments.
Full Capacity Use of Facilities
To protect the large investment in buildings made by the taxpayers of the school district, the Board, through the superintendent, shall aim towards full capacity use of its facilities by the following methods:
1. by using foresight in locating and planning school buildings and in setting attendance area boundaries;
2. by designing special areas and equipment for as extensive use as possible;
3. by perpetual study of room use and pupil-station use as compared with the capacity of each;
4. by adequate programming of classes and teacher time;
5. by making school buildings available to the patrons of the district to the greatest extent possible within established regulations made for the protection of the interests and property of the district.
Plant development involves all operations which result in an increase in the total amount and/or value of the property owned by the school district. This includes:
1. the acquisition or improvement of sites;
2. the building of new structures or additions, or the alteration of or additions to old structures;
3. the purchasing and replacement of furniture and equipment for old or new structures.
Plant development shall be the overall responsibility of the superintendent of schools, in cooperation with other administrators and under the authority of the Board.
Current practice codified 1978